July 3 – July 30, 2021
Camp Kwasind’s Leaders-In-Training (LIT) program is for those in their 16th or 17th year, going into grade 11 or 12. Over the years, those who have done this program consistently say that these four weeks will change you from the inside out and it is there that they created some of the most meaningful friendships in their lives.
This program is a unique element of camp as it is preparing teenagers not only to serve at camp in future years but also to equip them with leadership, personal and faith-based learnings that will be beneficial for their future.
Our Leader-In-Training (LIT) Program is designed as an ideal transition between being a camper and becoming a staff member. The program emphasizes the development of Christian faith and leadership skills in an adventure-learning context. It offers a balance of formal training, mentoring and practical hands-on experience. Leaders-in-Training will function in co-ed groups, supervised by veteran camp staff.
We have upgrade and enhanced this top-level program through access and learning at the new KWASIND LEADERSHIP LODGE and “THE COTTAGE” which serves as a creative innovative learning environment.
In 2018 we began partnering with the Youth Unlimited Launch program in order to bring a high quality of leadership training and development. This will come with additional take home resources and a skill set designed for long term leadership development.
- Fostering Servant Leadership – to understand what it means to lead effectively through being able to first follow well and having a heart and attitude oriented towards the service of others.
- Foundational Discipleship – to be able to understand with greater clarity the message of Jesus and to begin to explore what it is like to live a Christ-like life through being in relationship with Jesus – hosted in “THE COTTAGE”.
- Building Your Own Leadership Toolbox – to gain leadership skills that are transferable beyond camp. These special and practical sessions will be hosted at the new Kwasind Leadership Lodge.
- Personal & Camp Skill Development – to learn both practical camp skills as well as development of personal formation in both attitude, character and skill.
- 4 Day Canoe Trip for purpose of team building, learning team dynamics and leadership management.
- Hosting campfires, service with maintenance team, and a week of In-cabin experience under the supervision of an experienced cabin leader all for the purpose of practical hands-on learning of camp skills.
- 11 Sessions of Leadership Development focus on personal and practical skill development through special guest communicators, trainers and a partnership with Youth Unlimited LAUNCH program.
- 12 Sessions of Biblical Teaching – understanding the meta-narrative story of scripture and how it influences and shapes individuals in Christian leadership and builds on the Christian faith of each LIT.
- Training & Certification in Basic First Aid
- Camp Service Projects – learning the value and importance of serving others
- Mentorship – one-on-one coaching and instruction from LIT staff
- Community Building – connection
Those who successfully complete the program often find themselves more actively involved in leadership roles both at school, in their community and in their own home church. The Kwasind leadership program is designed to provide teenagers with knowledge and skills in communication, decision making, camping, problem solving, understanding diversity and sustainable living. In addition, it is anticipated that they will make positive contributions toward creating healthy and sustainable communities. Many LIT graduates consider this program one of the most valuable experiences of their lives.
We will be interviewing all applicants prior to confirming their acceptance into the Leaders-in-Training program. This is intended to help ensure that candidates fully understand the expectations that the camp has of them as a Leader-in-Training and that the participants appropriately embrace the program.