At Camp Kwasind, we recognize that you as parents, guardians and grandparents put a huge trust in ensuring that we provide a safe and healthy summer camp experience for your kids and youth each year!
While this has always been a high priority and value for Kwasind, after the years we have been through, we are moving forward with enhanced health and safety measures and taking serious our response to an infectious disease while ensuring we are able to do our best in providing a camp that will be safe, healthy & fun!
4 CRITICAL ENHANCEMENTS TO HEALTH & SAFETY AT KWASIND
ENHANCED ALL-CAMP CLEANING & DISINFECTING
We are introducing increased cleaning, disinfectant and sanitization measures around ALL OF CAMP.
- Cabins and Large Rooms will have a deep cleaning/disinfectant will occur between every session of campers with the use of disinfectant foggers and new sanitization procedures
- Dining Hall, Kwasind Centre, Lodge, Bathrooms and other gathering places will be cleaned and disinfected 3 times a day with focused on high touch areas – door handles, light switches and counter tops
- All shared equipment will be cleaned between uses
- Hand Sanitization stations will be easily accessible around camp
IMPLEMENTATION TRAINING FOR HEALTH MEASURES
Our staff will all be going through additional health and safety training to minimize any infectious disease spread:
- How and when to properly use Personal Protective Equipment when needed (ie. gloves, mask, gowns etc)
- Going over proper technique for cleaning and disinfecting procedures as related cabins, equipment used in electives, bathrooms and large room space
- Trained in new procedures related to handling of meal times, campfires, large camp-wide games and in cabin time
- Updated any necessary welcome day procedures
FOCUSED HEALTH MANAGEMENT & ASSESSMENTS
We will be working closely with Simcoe Muskoka Public Health Unit in the management of our new safety and health procedures:
- We have protocols in place in consultation with public health for how to assess, monitor, report and isolate any symptomatic visitor, staff or camper and ensure property and procedure maximize healthy & safety
- There may be the need to screen those coming on site – including all guests, staff or campers to be symptom free
- There will be the installation of appropriate barriers in places where physical distancing is not possible
- There will continue to be cleaning and disinfectant logs tracking the daily procedures
- Campers and staff will be monitored and checked to ensure they are healthy
PRIORITIZING HAND & PERSONAL HYGIENE
We will be elevating our personal hygiene for staff and campers – specifically in regards to hand cleaning!
- New hand washing stations will be situated around camp
- Before and after all meals there will be hand washing time
- More hand sanitization locations set up around camp in high traffic areas
- Teaching campers and staff proper hand washing technique
HEALTH & SAFETY UPGRADES THAT ARE HAPPENING AROUND CAMP
We have 75 new thick foam mattresses with special vinyl covers that are easily cleaned and disinfected – and it will provide campers with a much better and healthier rest each night.
With the additional of the new Kwasind Centre we have now doubled our seating and activity space which will allow to better physically distance during meal time, rain day activities and electives.
We will be upgrading elements of our air filtration and ventilation systems air the Kwasind Centre. We are also ensuring good air flow through all main building and ensure screens are on all windows of cabins in order to keep windows open for constant flow of fresh air.
We have a new electrical system and back up power generator that will allow us to keep our kitchen, septic system, emergency lighting and water system fully functional even during an extended power outage.